Delivery & Storage
Our online store provides two types of delivery; local delivery and in-store collection.
Johnson's of Thirsk provide a local-delivery service to any address* within 30km radius of the Johnson's Store (1 Kirkgate, YO7 1PQ). These addresses will include all YO7 postcodes, some YO21 and some DL7 postcodes.
If you are unable to place an order for delivery using this website but you believe you are within reasonable distance of the Johnson's Shop, please place a 'Collection' order and call the shop on 01845 523212. We will be able to advise you accordingly.
Please be aware that, at this moment, we DO NOT provide a mail order service for meat products. We are yet to find a courier who can guarantee the safety and freshness of our products across the whole of the UK.
*DURING THE COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS, JOHNSON'S IS WAIVING DELIVERY FEES ON ALL LOCAL-DELIVERY ORDERS TO THOSE WHO ARE SHIELDING, IN QUARANTINE OR RECOVERING.
- All Day Delivery (between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday): £4.00 for orders below £50.00
- Saturday delivery between 9am and 4pm: £5 for orders below £50
- Weekday and Saturday All-Day deliveries for orders over £50.00 – FREE
We cut each order individually and vacuum pack on the morning that it’s packed for delivery. With the exception of burgers and sausages (which we supply in traditional butcher's paper) we’ve found that vacuum packing is by far the best way to make sure that your freshly cut meat arrives to you in perfect condition, but if you’d rather have your meat wrapped in butcher’s paper, or your burgers and sausages vacuum packed, we can do that – just let us know in the special requests box.
Please note that with single cuts such as steaks, advertised weights can be + or - 5%.
DELIVERY PROCESS – NEED TO KNOW
Simply choose your Family Pack, Hamper or Gift set, add on any extras if you wish, select a delivery slot and await your meat. Our cut off time for Next Day Delivery is 15.30, Mon-Fri.
If you can’t select your ideal slot for delivery, that means that we’ve reached capacity, so please choose another. Please remember, though, that we plan deliveries daily, so no matter when you book your delivery we’ll always hand-cut it freshly on the day of dispatch.
Local Delivery – Orders can be delivered Monday to Saturday. You can choose an ‘All Day’ delivery between 8am and 5pm. Our couriers will always endeavour to give you an hour window of arrival so long as a mobile phone number is provided.
Once you’ve ordered, a confirmation email will be sent – during busy periods we may have to offer alternative delivery options, but we will always endeavour to advise you of any alterations or try and find a solution that works for you. We always cut your meat freshly for delivery.
We always want to make sure that you get the best from your meat, whether freezing or storing within the fridge. Follow our handy tips guide to be certain you’re storing your meat correctly and safely before it’s cooked.
All of your meat should be delivered with individual use-by dates on the packaging, but no matter what cut be sure to always follow these base tips:
- Unless vacuum-packed, when you get your meat home take it out of the bag and wrapping. If left inside the meat will sweat, meaning that bacteria growth is much easier.
- Place the meat on a plate, uncovered, at the bottom of the fridge. If your products are vacuum-packed then leave them within the packaging in the same place. Not only does this help the air ventilate around the raw meat, but you’ll find that the bottom of the fridge is the coldest place. If you’re running out of space, a Tupperware container with the lid on is the next best thing.
- Keep meat, particularly chicken, away from any other food. It’s best to give yourself a whole shelf in the fridge just to store raw meat.
- Don’t overfill your fridge, as this can lead to inconsistent temperatures.
- If you’re going to freeze the meat, do it on the day of purchase. If your cuts are vacuum packed, do not open them – this is an ideal condition for freezing. If the meat is in butcher’s paper, remove all packaging, pat the meat dry and place each cut separately within a bag with as little air as possible. Use within 3 months
- To defrost, remove the meat from the freezer 24 hours before use, and take out, placing in the coldest part of your kitchen 1-2 hours before use.
As we vacuum pack all of our products, you will have 10 days from the packing date within which to use the meat. All vacuum packed products are issued with a use-by date.
Unless stated otherwise, the use-by-dates for paper wrapped products are as follows:
- Beef, Lamb and Pork cuts: 4 days
- Chicken, sausages, burgers and mince: 3 days